A central part of the APComm work is to provide training and support the professional development of members. It is outlined in the five strands setting out the purpose of the Association, which are:
- To represent to stakeholders all the specialist police communications professionals working to support the police service
- To provide training and help develop the knowledge, skills and career opportunities of members
- To share and promote good practice and create networking opportunities for those working in police communication
- To develop evaluation methods to demonstrate the impact that effective communication is having on policing services
- To promote the good work and successes of members and show how they have improved the police service
Training is provided to members through the Association which is working with the College of Policing to identify appropriate support.
APComm also showcases and highlights good practice within the work of communication teams.